Friday 14 December 2012

Hello, Goodbye


 
 


This coat has seen a lot of action over the past nine months.
 
I  paid ten pounds for it at a second hand store in Camden back in April when I was freshly arrived in London and it's been with me all the way since. I've had to sew buttons back on four times, put a hole in my pocket and recently lost the belt strap to the crowds in Leicester Square.
 
This coat has seen me through the rainy London summer, windy Paris and the inappropriately cold walking tour of Prague. It's taken the tube, the train, the plane, the bus and the Eurostar. My trusty coat has kept me warm on the way to work and on the way home, on the way to many a theatre show and while strolling through museums. Whatever the adventures over the past nine months of travelling, this black trench coat has seen it all and stood by me.
 
Sadly, it is time for me to say goodbye to the beautiful black coat that means London, as there is no room for lightweight cotton in chilly Saskatoon. There is definitely no room in my suitcase.
 
I've had some truly awesome adventures in that coat and also some pretty hilarious setbacks. I've grown and learned and laughed and made so many great memories that I will carry with me even after my textile companion is lost to me. I feel sad to see it go, but also really happy as I'll always think fondly of our times together. My black coat will forever remind me of my time in London, setting out in the big city to have some adventures and see the world.
 
So it's back home to Canada to regroup and rest. Nine or ten hours of flying doesn't seem like a lot but the distance between London, England and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is substantial - literally and figuratively. It will be interesting to see how I readjust to life in the Great White North - in snowy, comfortable Saskatoon.
 
While I have greatly appreciated all that this coat has done for me over the past little while, it's time to move on to the next big adventure: real life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment