Tuesday 3 April 2012

Assistant to the Accounts Department

I have always wondered what it would be like to work in an office. Taking the train in the morning with everyone else, all going to our respective offices on our respective floors in our respective buildings. And then 8 or 9 hours later taking the train home again. Wearing skirts during the day and filling endless spreadsheets for some inexplicable reason. Now it seems I am going to get my wish! At least it will be interesting to try it out...

My first few days as Accounts Assistant have mostly consisted of mind-numbing tasks that a monkey could do, and watching and asking questions, which is fine by me. It seems that I have quite a lot to learn, but nobody seems to expect me to learn it right away, and everyone I've met so far seems really kind and laidback. I am looking forward to my first Chocolate Friday which apparently is a big thing at the company....everyone eats chocolate because it's Friday??? And I also can't wait to put someone's stapler in Jello and hold an office Olympics. That is what goes on the majority of the time in an office, yes? That's what I've been led to believe anyway, we'll see if they do things differently in England.

I also attended my first yoga class of the UK. It may sound prententious/corny but one of the people I am going to miss from Vancouver is my yoga teacher. She was a great teacher and always made the class about so much more than just stretching your body but also allowing your mind (and yes, your soul) to gain a bit more flexibility as well. So that's something I'd like to do more of in my time here if I can find a decent class that's not horrendously expensive/too far away.

In the meantime I will try to wrap my brain around this so-called "workweek" and continue researching plans for my future travels and adventures, of which I'm sure there will be many.

It rained today for the first time since I arrived (2 week anniversary by the way!) and it made me feel like I was back at home in Vancouver for a brief moment or two. 
Lesson One: It is important to bring your umbrella to work.

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog so far Amandradee!
    Happy Adventuring!
    Miss you!
    I love exclamation marks!

    ReplyDelete