Friday 30 March 2012

Pinch Me, Please

Is London too good to be true?

This is the question I have been asking myself the past few days. I spent Tuesday wandering around some touristy sites (my first real foray into tourist London) with another girl on my program, Kristin. That was a ton of fun and actually quite inspiring. We don't have anything even close to the history like this in Canada - buildings that are hundreds, even thousands of years old...it's nuts, really. But a really great reminder of the once in a lifetime things I'm going to be able to do and see while I'm here.

Also, the big news is that I got a job! Starting on Monday. In an office. 9-5. With Bank holidays and weekends off. Guess how many interviews I went to.....one. That's right, one. Maybe London is a little crazy for me right now, but I am just trying to pinch myself as I can't believe my luck. My previous job searches in Canada have been lengthy affairs, lasting several weeks and usually involving me doing some kind of crap-job that I don't really want in order to pay my bills and wait until something better comes along. So I'm actually a little suspicious of how well things  are going for me so far...not that I'm complaining! After a really long interview (3 hours...) I got offered a position as an Accounts Assistant with a cell phone/communications company. I have no experience doing this kind of work at all, but I did do quite a few aptitude/math tests during my interview so hopefully they hired me for a reason and I'll be able to pick it up quickly. Plus, after the past little while of finding a home and getting settled in London, I honestly feel like learning some new computer skills is just going to be the icing on the cake...

It's quite a quick turn around. I honestly couldn't have expected things to turn out this well so quickly, but I'm grateful that they have. I guess it's a sign that I'm on the right path and maybe all the struggles back in Vancouver and Canada were worth it to get here. Not that I'll be conducting any life saving research or changing the world by any means.  But I will be closer to having the kind of experience I set out to have when I started this journey, and that's exciting news for me! Stay tuned for any adventures that follow as I attempt to begin this new "career" path...

No comments:

Post a Comment