Tuesday 5 June 2012

Diamond Jubilations 2012


It was a pretty great weekend to be in London this past weekend, and even if I was busy dealing with slight housing issues, I was really glad to simply be here being a part of it.

I really dig how patriotic the Brits are towards their Queen, and the monarchy in general. Of course there is always opposition and politics and things, but I think you would be hard pressed to find anything short of a gold medal hockey game that would unite people back in Canada in such a way. It is about Her, for sure, and reigning for 60 years is equal parts lucky and impressive, but it's also just about the way that people enjoy themselves because of the celebrations. There were SO many people on the streets of Central London and everybody was just there to have a good time and celebrate their country.

After waiting for several hours in the damp weather on Sunday I did see the Queen float by on her royal barge, which was pretty cool. I was about 4th row back from the edge of the river, which meant that when the people in front of me turned their heads at certain angles, I could see her!! I'm not sure what the people behind me who turned up an hour before the pageant could see, but judging by the way they were pushing us it probably was not much. Highlight: waiting in line for the loo for literally 45 minutes - I am not exaggerating on this one folks...the line had to have been at least a city block long...and I timed it. Only for the Queen would I endure such sacrifices.

We managed to escape before the rain really started coming down and I watched the rest of the flotilla on TV at a friends house. Then there was the Jubilee Concert Monday night which took place outside Buckingham Palace on a really cool stage that they built in the middle of the road. They were showing the concert for free on huge screens in Hyde Park and that was just as much an event as the actual concert as thousands and thousands of people turned up to watch. I think this was one of my favorite London moments so far - it felt like I was really seeing Elton and the other performers live! Granted I was pretty darn close...it was just a really awesome atmosphere to be a part of something that so many people were celebrating and on such a historic occasion. Very. Cool. London.

In between all of this jubilation I also managed to (finally!) move house! Yay! So my things have made the transfer to my new room and house, which I have been happily residing in for approximately 24 hours (minus the time I've spent at work and watching Elton, obviously). It seems to be going well. I have a bed to sleep on in a room that's mine for the next 6 months, so I'll take it! Now the challenge is to try and catch up from a rather eventful weekend while going to work and settling in.

Should be a piece of cake.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! What color did she wear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red of course! Very British and very stylish :)

    How's things with you???

    ReplyDelete