Monday 25 June 2012

Sur La Plage



How I love to be beside the sea side...

I spent this past weekend "taking the air" in the British tourist town of Brighton, where people used to go to heal their ills with the fresh sea air. I have to say that my time in Brighton was indeed rather refreshing, but that was more due to the change of pace and scenery that it provided.

We spent a lot of time napping and laying in the sun, which will always do wonders for your health, I am told. Many picnics were had and on Sunday we found ourselves in a park outside the Royal Pavillion (read: palace) in the middle of a jazz concert. The town is really beautiful in a quaint kind of way and although the weather was not exactly beachy we enjoyed ourselves anyhow. I brought my bathing suit on principle as it is the end of June, a time when one could reasonably expect to possibly be able to suntan on the beach. Maybe if you are in a different country this would be true, but not in England - or the Land of the Wind and Rain as I have begun to call it.

The Brighton Pier was a fun time - it is like an amusement park out on the water. Not too large but definitely fun to spend a day at and wander around. We also visited a few museums (so cultured) and sat in a boat for a bit. Basically it was just nice to get away and have relaxation time. It's hard not to feel a little glad when you are listening to soft rock 80's and 90's tunes on a wooden pier and wondering whether you should have some gelato for dessert.

Even though I was only an hour's train ride outside of London it was really nice to feel like I was on a little "mini break" from work and things. Plus I got to enjoy the ocean which I do love and miss, and have a good time with some of my London friends. All in all a very successful getaway and I returned to London feeling refreshed and rejuvenated despite a mysterious lack of actual sleep over the weekend. I would confidently prescribe a solid dose of Brighton seaside air for anyone looking to chill out and enjoy a peaceful weekend at the coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment