Sunday 25 March 2012

Loving London (at least a little)

I have a home!

 Things have been developing fairly quickly over the past few days, especially when I realize that it's already Sunday! Yesterday I moved into a cute, clean bedroom in a flat that I'm sharing with Attila and Nataliya (a couple). We share a teeny tiny London-sized kitchen and a bathroom and so far they have been very kind and accomodating to me. Attila has a car and he drove me to my hostel to pick up my suitcase which was very considerate seeing as otherwise I would have had to haul all of my stuff over the tube. And he took me to get some groceries from this huge 24 hour supermarket called ASDA here (apparently it is owned by Walmart, so you get the idea). I am excited to have a space to call my own and to begin feeling actually at home here. I am a fairly adaptable person but I am also anxious to get things done right away (as any one who has ever met me can attest to), so I feel that I will adjust quickly.

Now that the period of being in transit is essentially over I can get down to the business of being present here in London, which is as much about being comfortable with myself as it is about seeing the great sights and attractions of this city. No matter what I must remember that I am here for me, to have an experience and to become better able to know myself in this world whether that is in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan/ London, England or anywhere else in the world. A lofty task, I know, but it has been hard for me in the midst of the past few days to remember the reasons why I actually wanted this experience - to shake up my life and decide what I wanted it to be like in the future.

Tonight I feel very blessed just to be able to access this kind of life - to pick myself up and transport the few things that are truly neccessary in life to another country where I will make a beginning for myself. And I also feel hopeful - tomorrow is the start of a new week and my first one with a home in London. So I am pleased to report the first flickers of real happiness in London, loving life just a little bit...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff Amanda.

    Having traveled a few times, it is always nice when the house search finishes. It's such an all consuming process and you travel all over the place and ugh. It just wears after a while.

    Glad you are settled in a good spot, with what seem to be good people!!

    Now you'll really get to enjoy London!

    ReplyDelete