Sunday 29 July 2012

London 2012

Olympic mania has hit London, that is for sure.

 I went down to Hyde Park yesterday to watch the live Olympic coverage of events, etc. and it was an experience. You definitely have to brace yourself if you are going to go into Central London during the next few weeks I suppose. The good thing is that there were so many staff members there - on every street corner, at every intersection and at every entrance into the park. We had to go through airport-style security just to get in to the park - which is free, they just don't want you taking anything in there. Like, at all. I had to dump out my water bottle.

Of course they want you to buy the overpriced bottles of water available within the park, but if you don't do that it's actually quite an enjoyable experience to be there watching the games along with hundreds of other people. They have a bunch of huge tv screens showing live coverage of a bunch of different events and a festival kind of atmosphere. I didn't see any GB or Canadian medals being won yesterday but I may go back again next weekend.

I watched the Opening Ceremonies at a pub with a bunch of people from my work, which was quite fun as well. There was lots of cheering for Australia, New Zealand, Italy and of course Canada in our particular corner.

I am excited to see how the next few weeks play out and to enjoy the international vibe over the next little while. London is already full of so many different cultures, but the Olympics is a good chance to celebrate it. And just a great summer to be here as there are so many free Olympic events going on that I hope to take advantage of.

Work related things are going well. It is one of my co-worker's last few days at the office before she heads home to Australia and everyone keeps saying I've got such big shoes to fill when she leaves. I try not to be too worried about that,as  all I can really do is my best. I feel fairly settled in so we will see how it goes over the coming weeks.

This week I'm going to the Olympics!!!!! Which should be exciting, so stay tuned to hear of my sporting adventures -  mainly braving the tube ride all the way across London!

1 comment: