Monday 2 July 2012

So Many Canadians In London



As Canada celebrated its 145th birthday (what an infant country we are!!), Nicole and I joined thousands of other Canadians in Trafalgar Square to eat, drink, dance and be merry.

It was a nice day for once! We met up with a bunch of other Canadian girls that I have run into during my journeys here and trekked down to the square with our faces painted and flags on. London apparently hosts the largest Canada Day celebration outside of Canada itself and I have to say that the celebration in Trafalgar Square was bigger than any I've ever been to in Canada.

We tried the poutine (a decent imitation but far from the real thing), sipped some Molson Canadian (oh what a difference after getting accustomed to the European stuff) and hung out to take it all in. Highlights include watching the free concert in the middle of the square. We didn't stick around for Our Lady Peace but we did see Jacob Hogard from Hedley jump into one of the fountains after his set which was entertaining.  

One last hurrah before Nic headed back to Canada to end her European adventures for now, and I headed back to work today. I was very sad to see her go as it really was nice to have a bit of home here with me. There is a (small) part of me that is envious of her flight home to the Great White North, but I know that my time will come, sooner than I know it, and I will be looking back at longing with my time here in London.

I certainly do appreciate our wonderful country after a little time apart and am glad to have gotten the chance to celebrate it from afar. There is one thing that is still missing from my life here and from the Canada Day celebrations, and that is a cup of Tim Hortons coffee and honey cruller doughnut. I have had many experiences so far in my travels, but none that can rival Tim's.

There really is no place like home.

1 comment: