Sunday 8 July 2012

working/holiday

It is that time again for a general update as to my adventures and goings-on here in London. I have to say that I purposely tried to make this a quiet week as I have had a lot going on the past little while and I needed a little time to recover, to say the least.

After all the excitement and adventure of my recent sightseeing it was a bit of a downer to return to work this week and be back at the grind. The good news is that I passed my 3 month probationary period at work so I am pretty much in the clear on that regard. I have begun to feel that I will never really know everything that goes on with my role - every week there is some new facet of it that I wasn't aware of or haven't had to deal with yet. It is a good learning experience for sure but it is still a little hectic for me as I start to deal with more and more responsibility on my own.When I think back to 3 months ago when I wasn't even confident in my ability to get this kind of a job (semi-grown up), to where I am now, it really is quite astonishing. I'm learning so many new skills and am being reminded that things like common sense and organization really do count for something sometimes.

I feel really settled at my new house. Although I am the only person in the house who does not speak Spanish or Italian, for the most part it is not a bad arrangement. It will be a curious situation when I return home to Canada and find that everyone around me is actually speaking English...I am also trying to get them all on board with recycling!!! London is notorious for recycling which is shocking to me as it is such a big, modern city. But I ordered some containers from our council and have started the recycling regime in our house so at least that's something.

After visiting the city of Bath and taking a poor man's tour of the Jane Austen Centre (we're too cheap to pay admission so we just looked around the gift shop) I have been on a reading kick. Sometimes I wish that I could spend my days walking the English countryside, writing correspondence and attending balls like Jane's heroines. I might fancy that roaming the halls of Westfield shopping centre and having coffee for one is the modern equivalent of this - with more plumbing and less restriction on acceptable womanly pursuits.

Risking sounding like a broken record, time really is flying this summer. The Olympics are fast approaching, although seeing as I live on the opposite side of London from the Olympic stadium, I'm hoping the disruption to my daily routine will be mimimal. I do have tickets to a Field Hockey event, which is very exciting! I must be truly Canadian because I purchased them thinking, great, I will go to a hockey game as that is something I will be able to follow! It did not cross my mind at the time that Ice Hockey would naturally be an event at the Winter Olympics...therefore my tickets would be referring to the summertime event of Field Hockey. But nevertheless I am excited to go and experience the event and all its hype just to see what it's about.

I'm hoping that the excessive amount of sleep I have gotten this weekend means I will be refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the month's adventures when they come my way. It's hard work on a working holiday, as work and holiday are two very conflicting ideas when you try to do them both at once, at full tilt, over a period of several months. But I will carry on with the philosophy that has gotten me this far, which is enjoying every moment as best I can and taking my rest where I can get it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment